Jan. 19th, 2011

growler_south: (Default)
So I'm replacing the radiator in the van- after replacing everything else on teh engine, it's only natural that the one part I didn't replace would fail spectacularly. In doing so I also noticed (Here we go... I can hear Brian rolling his eyes) some other things that were less than ideal. Like the hanging out exhaust manifold stud:



which made me very sad. So it was out with the mighty stud extractor (ooh-err!)



and a new set of studs is on its way from Wellington. MIght as well replace them all...

The gaskets on the inlet ducting were slightly sub-optimal too. Something to do with twice the boost level Mr Mitsubishi intended, I suspect. Whatever the reason, they had exploded all about the engine compartment and were leaking boost. Out with the evil silicone form-a-gasket!




Notice, though, that I'm using gasket paper as spacers to hold the joint apart until the silicone is set, and then I'll remove the paper and clamp the joint down. Keeps the silicone under compression and makes for a much stronger seal. Hopefully enough to cope with 20psi.

The other thing I've been working on is bathroom shelves, though that's taken a while longer, seeing as I had to wait for the varnish to dry.




Almost finished, just need to fill the gaps between shelves and wall (the wall isn't perfectly square, so I'm procrastinating on that one)

Profile

growler_south: (Default)
growler_south

August 2012

S M T W T F S
   1234
5678910 11
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 05:48 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios